Moncef Krarti, PhD, PE
Civil, Environmental, & Architectural Engineering Department
Tel: (303) 492-3389
FAX: (303) 492-7317
· Diplome d'Ingenieur, 1984, Ecole nationale des Ponts et Chaussees, Paris, France.
· Diplome d'Ingenieur, 1982, Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France.
2. Professional History
Associate Professor, Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering
1991-1998: Assistant Professor, Civil, Environmental,
and Architectural Engineering Department,
Associate, Steven Winter and Associates,
Post Doctoral Fellow, Mechanical Engineering Department,
3. Honors and Awards (for the last five years)
· Best ASHRAE Paper Award at the Annual ASHRAE Conference, 2000, (ASHRAE).
· Best Paper Award at the Solar Conference, 1998, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
· Best Paper Award at the Solar Engineering Conference, 1996.
· Research Development Award, 1995, Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering Department.
4. Research Experience
Dr. Krarti has been involved in a wide of research projects related to building energy systems with a total funding over $2,000,000. Some of his projects include:
§ Refrigeration Load Calculation for Foundation Heat Gains.
§ Field Evaluation of Fans and Pumps Performance.
§ Ventilation of Parking Garages.
§ Demand Controlled Ventilation in Buildings.
§ Indoor Air Quality Modeling in Commercial Buildings.
§ Optimal Control Strategies for Ice Storage Systems.
§ Evaluation of Energy Conservation Measures.
§ Impacts of Thermal Bridging Effects in Building Envelope.
§ Artificial Neural Networks Applied to Building Load Prediction.
§ Ground-coupled Heat Transfer.
§ Controls of Heating and Cooling Radiant Panels.
Moreover, Prof. Krarti has supervised and chaired research theses of over 40 graduate students (including 10 Ph.D. graduates currently serving as faculty members is various US and International Universities).
5. Selected Publications
Published over 140 Peer-Reviewed Technical Papers in Various Areas of Energy Efficiency as well as over 30 technical reports. In addition, over 10 Books and Chapters in Handbooks including:
§ “Introduction to Energy Auditing”, M. Krarti, Chapter in Energy Analysis Handbook, F. Kreith (Editor), CRC Press LCC (1999).
§ “Ground-Coupled Heat Transfer” M. Krarti, chapter in Advances in Solar Energy, edited by Y. Goswami, ASES publication, 90 pages, published in 1999.
§ “HVAC Electrical Systems “ M. Krarti, chapter, chapter in Handbook of Building Energy Systems, edited by J. Kreider, CRC Press, 50 pages, ( 2000).
§ “Energy Audit for Building Systems: An Engineering Approach”, M. Krarti, a Textbook, 500 p. CRC Press (2000).
§ "Energy Conservation and Efficiency", M. Krarti, a Chapter in John Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, John Wiley, 70 pages, (2001).
6. Professional Membership
ü Full Member in the American Society for Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE). Active Member in various Technical Committees (currently member of TC 4.7: Energy Calculations and TC 6.9: Thermal Storage) and author of several sections in the ASHRAE Handbooks (Handbook of Fundamentals, Chapter 27, and HVAC Applications, Chapter 12).
ü Full Member in the American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Chair of the conservation and Solar Buildings Technical Committee. Organized several ASME conferences on solar and energy efficiency technologies.
ü Full Member in the American Solar Energy Society (ASES). Organized ASES conferences on solar applications.
7. International Activities
· Organized short courses and workshops on energy auditing procedures in Korea, Greece, Kuwait and Egypt. In addition energy audits of actual buildings have been conducted in these countries.
· Helped the Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research in developing energy efficiency standards for buildings in Kuwait. Similar activities are under way for Egypt part of UN funded project.
· Taught courses on energy management and energy simulation tools in Tunisia, Egypt, Kuwait, and France.
Ecole des Mines de Paris,