Group: Building Systems Engineering
Office: ECCE 242 and Fleming 311 (RASEI)
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 1991.
- Dipl.-Ing. (Diplom-Ingenieur) in Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, 1992.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Building Systems), University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 1995.
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow of Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Solar Energy Division Technical Committee Chair for Conservation and Solar Buildings for 2008–2010.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers: Associate Editor of the Journal of Solar Energy Engineering in the topical area of Conservation and Solar Buildings for 2008–2010.
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln College of Engineering Holling Family Distinguished Teaching Award for Innovative Use of Instructional Technology 2006
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering Holling Family Teaching Award 2006 University of Nebraska at Omaha Alumni Outstanding Teaching Award 2006
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers: Best Paper Award, International Solar Energy Conference 2004, Portland, Oregon.
- UNL College of Engineering Faculty Fellowship for 2003 and 2004.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME): Best Paper Award, National Solar Energy Conference 2002, Reno, Nevada.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE): Fellowship for 2002 ExCEEd Teaching Workshop held at the University of Arkansas.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE): New Investigator Award for the year 2001 (one per year).
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME): Best Paper Award, International Solar Energy Conference 1996, San Antonio, Texas.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas: Winner of Energy Predictor Shootout II in team effort with Robert H. Dodier, 1995.
- Full J. William Fulbright Scholarship for graduate study at Oregon State University 1990–1991.
- International Building Performance Simulation Association
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers
- VDI (Verein Deutscher Ingenieure): International member TGA (Building Energy Systems)
- Building/grid integration
- Model-based predictive optimal control and model-free reinforcement learning control of building energy systems and building thermal mass,
- Model-based benchmarking of building operational performance,
- Whole-building fault detection and diagnosis,
- Building occupancy detection using distributed sensor belief networks,
- Design and control strategies for mixed-mode buildings that incorporate both natural and mechanical ventilation
- Low-exergy building energy systems for continental climates,
- Zero energy buildings
- Time series prediction and forecasting
- Distributed generation systems